
So this logo pretty much sums up what I should have put at the top of our Dear Birth Mother letter.... but let me start from the beginning...
As many of you read on Facebook, Travis wrote most of the Birth Mother letter for us because he is insanely phenomenal and because I couldn't wrap my mind around how in the world I was supposed to convey in 4-8 pages how grateful we were to this women and how we should be chosen to raise her child. I just couldn't do it. So he sat down and just wrote away. And it was perfect! Well... close to perfect. You see there were still certain sections where I did need to do my own writing.
If anyone has ever sat down and read through Birth Mother Letters, (you know, just on some random Saturday night when you were bored), then you know that there is a section where you are supposed to write about your spouse. So Travis would write about me and I would write about him. So I still needed to do that part about, "Dana's Thoughts on Travis." Then of course I needed to fill in the part that was about my history and just some other random things. No big deal. THAT I could handle.
Now my husband, being the wonderfully "funny" person that he is, wanted to make sure he drew my attention to the places I still needed to write. So to do, that he decided to put in some "adult content" in those sections. I won't go into specifics, but you can let your mind wander. I laughed, I yelled "Travis!", I erased those sections and wrote in the correct information.
I then emailed it back to Travis, he made a few more minor adjustments and emailed it back. The next morning I went ahead and sent it on to the lawyer.
Now it's possible that you see where this is going at this point, but if not then I will let you know that the lawyer didn't immediately write back with how fabulous the letter was... That next night I was sitting on the couch and something kept telling me to go read the email I sent. I had a mini-argument with myself because I didn't know why in the world I would want to read the letter again when I had already read through it many times. But I've learned over the past few years to listen to that little voice, so I went back to reread the email and attachment.
Let's just say that as soon as I scrolled down to the "Dana's Thoughts on Travis" section, I yelled pretty loudly, "Oh Crap!" and it would have probably been a different word substituted in for crap if Travis hadn't curbed my cursing habit 5 years ago. That is correct boys and girls, I had sent the "sexually explicit" letter to our lawyer. I called Travis, but he was still at the gym. I then immediately called my mother, who I'm pretty sure cracked a rib from laughing so hard and then proceeded to send me a text message saying simply, "HAHAHAHAHAHA". (I still love you though mother.) I sent the lawyer a new email stating how very sorry I was and how that was OBVIOUSLY not the email we wanted to send to any birth mother and I would now send him the correct letter. I then proceeded to lay on the couch and think about how we were going to have to resort to becoming animal hoarders because no one would ever give us a child now.
So to end this horrible tale, the lawyer was actually very cool about it and just wrote back and said, "No problem at all. I will revise this copy."
Only me, and only us. We now have another wonderful story to add to our already long list of interesting tales that have occurred along our road to our child. I guess we could have just done this whole thing the easy way. One night of romantic time and 9 months later a child... but then I wouldn't have had this wonderful blog to keep you all interested on a Sunday night!
You can thank me later :)
No comments:
Post a Comment