Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Keegan Jones



I couldn't say it any better myself than what that poster says right above. "This time, last year... everything was so different." This time last year though, things were also very similar. I was getting ready to go to a doctor's appointment, just like this year. This time last year I was eagerly awaiting the ultra sound to see our baby, just like this year. This time last year I sat crying in a doctor's office. But everything is SO different this year. This year I was crying tears of joy and relief.. The baby had the most fabulous heart beat that we were able to hear. We were able to see all the organs. We could see his adorable little face. We found out he weighs around 2 lbs. 4 oz. We saw his hands and feet. We saw him move. We saw that he was surly a boy! This baby was without a doubt alive and kicking it. So very different than a year ago. Who knew that in one year, so much could change. Out of so much sadness, there could be brought such joy.

Here is a run down of how the day went.

We met A and her mom at the doctor at 9:30. When they called A back she quickly invited Travis and I to come with. At this point there was some confusion because for whatever reason the doctor's office didn't realize she was there for a prenatal appointment, it was quickly resolved though and determined that they could squeeze her in for an ultrasound. We were brought back to the ultrasound room, where the technician right away showed us that it was a boy! She then was able to show us all the other major organs and let us listen to his heartbeat. Right now he is sitting breach and has his little legs up around his head, but he still has plenty of time to shift around. The baby is measuring right around 27 weeks, and based off his measurements, his due date would be October 31. A fabulous Halloween baby! Based off of A's periods though the due date would be October 29. So somewhere around the end of October.

After the ultra sound we went back into the room. The nurse brought in a bunch of information, papers, magazines, etc. for A and also handed her a stuffed bear that when you push the stomach it plays the heart beat of the baby. A is so fabulous, I will know quote her. She said, "AWWWWWWW that is so cute! It's yours though!" and looks right at Travis and I. I couldn't help it, the tears started again. (Actually they start again as I'm typing this... waterproof mascara is by far the greatest invention EVER!)  At this point they said they were going to be asking A a lot of personal questions and Travis decided to make his exit. He needed to get to work anyway, but A said I could stay. After the 50,034 questions they were going to do a full exam, so I went out to the waiting room to sit with A's mom.

While in the waiting room I was asking A's mom how A was doing with everything. If she was feeling okay with the whole adoption idea. I won't go into to many details here just for privacy reasons, but the conversation we had made me feel even more confident, that in October, we will be coming home with a baby. A came back out, and we had to go next door so she could have 14 vials of blood drawn. 14 VIALS! That poor girl. She hadn't eaten yet this morning either, so I'm really surprised she didn't pass out on us! A cut apart the ultra sound pictures and only kept 2 for herself and gave me all the rest. Again, I can't tell you how amazing she is. The words "Thank You" don't even come close to doing justice of what I would like to tell her. But there aren't words strong enough.

At that point we went our separate ways. I had to run home to let the dogs out, but then quickly left again so I could go shopping. I don't want to go to crazy yet, but I just really felt I needed to get something for the little guy.

Travis and I had already chosen a boy and a girl name so we are so excited to announce that the little guy will be named Keegan Jones. We have given A the option of choosing the middle name. Not sure if she will or not, but we wanted her to be able to do that if she wanted to.

I just can't even wrap my mind around this past year. It has gone from the lowest part of my life to one of the highest, all within 365 days... actually I think this was a leap year, so we will make that 366. It's hard to not have Keegan "with me" but I know that A is taking good care of him, and in about 3 very short months he will be all ours.

I will end with one fabulous quote and a phenomenal poem and of course a thank you once again to all of you. A thank you for your love, support, prayers, and encouragement. I don't know how I would have made it through this year with out each one of you. You are all truly amazing family and friends!

"A child who becomes your child through adoption completes a family. Just as when you commit to your spouse or partner, there are no biological ties, yet a family was formed. This child enters a family the same way! It is not blood and flesh that form a family, but the heart." ~ Michele Johnson



**** I HATE the line in those poem about "giving up the child" but I love the idea of the poem and what it is saying, so I will share anyway****

Legacy of an Adopted Child
Once there were two women who never knew each other..
One you do not remember, the other you call mother.
Two different lives, shaped to make Your one...
One became your guiding star, the other became your sun.
The first gave you life and the second taught you to live it.
The first gave you a need for love, and the second was there to give it.
One gave you a nationality, the other gave you a name.
One gave you a seed of talent, the other gave you an aim.
One gave you emotions, the other calmed your fears.
One saw your first sweet smile, the other dried your tears.
One gave you up ... that's all she could do.
The other prayed for a child and God led her straight to you.
And now you ask me, through your fears,

the age old question unanswered throughout the years...
Heredity or environment .. Which are you the product of..
Neither, my darling .. neither..
just two different kinds of love.

~ Author Unknown ~


Well and of course I have to put the ultra sound pictures on here! :)



1 comment:

  1. We have friends with a beautiful daughter who was adopted, and her birth mother selected her middle name. I think that is such a wonderful gesture. You and Travis are very gracious people.

    A sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders. It also sounds like she has a great mother. I continue to pray that she and Keegan do well over the next few months. We are all so anxious to meet him.

    Love to all of you, A, her mother, Keegan, Travis, and of course, YOU!

    ReplyDelete