Thursday, June 23, 2011

Here they are!


Today was the transfer. Today 2 of the little guys were deposited back inside, hopefully to nestle in for a nice long stay. You can see in the picture inside the yellow circle where the little ones are. Everyone in the room was very pleased with the way the transfer went and how well they fell into place. The Dr. told Travis that he would "put money on this one working." (I'm thinking he should have wagered $20,000.) So here's how the last few days have gone down.

On Tuesday we got on update on our eggs. We were told that of the 5 good ones there were left, 2 were very good looking 8celled eggs, 2 were 4celled eggs, and 1 was a 3celled egg. The nurse told me that the 8celled ones should be perfect and ready to go for Thursday. The other ones COULD catch up, but we should at least have the 2. I pretty much took this as, "You've got 2, you won't be freezing any." While this kind of bummed me out, I knew that we had to just have faith that God was doing his thing and he would let whatever happens happen. Plus I told myself, we would save $600 a year on freezing costs, and I do like to save money. So again we were just waiting for Thursday to see if the 2 8celled eggs would keep doing there thing, and praying that maybe some of the other 3 would decide to catch up.

This morning we had to go back to put the little eggs back in. I was told to start drinking water around 6:45 this morning and the procedure would be at about 8:30. (I had to have a full bladder to do the ultrasound with the transfer.) Like a good little girl, I chugged my water. By 8:15 I thought I was going to explode. I was having fears of peeing all over the Dr. as he was trying to put my children back in. I wasn't sure this would go over very well and I really wanted him to be in a good mood since he was holding my babies, literally, in his hands. At this time we were still in the room waiting to be brought back, so I went to ask the nurse if I would be able to go to the bathroom at all of if I had to wait. She went ahead and let me go since they were a bit behind and just told me to drink more water when I got back in the room. I will admit that I don't believe I have ever been so happy to walk through a hallway in a hospital gown. At about 8:45 we went back to the room. As we were walking in the nurse informed us that our 3 little eggs (the 4 and 3 celled ones) decided to have a growth spurt and were caught up with the other ones today. This was amazing news. This means that we now have 3 little "snowbabies" that we can use at a later date. So then I got up on the table and the Dr. got me all ready and they put in the catheter. They then pushed in the eggs through the catheter into my uterus. With the ultrasound, we got to watch them float into the uterus and settle down. Most people never get to see this stage of their child's life and I am incredibly blessed to have been able to witness that. I then had to lay flat for an hour. At this point I was REALLY starting to need to use the bathroom again.

The nurse got me in the recovery room and told me that if I needed to use a bedpan she would help me with that. A bedpan is not something on my bucket list. I believe that I will feel just as fulfilled with my life if I never have to use a bedpan as if I get to experience using a bedpan. I decided to just lay in agony for on hour. After an hour she came back in, I threw on my clothes, and ran down the hall to the bathroom. Now thinking about this, I think they do this on purpose. As anyone who knows anything knows, you can't possible pee out eggs from your uterus. It isn't physically possible, but there is always this small thought in your head that you might accidentally push them out somehow. At the point after all this when you can go to the bathroom, you have to go so bad, that you don't even care.

So now we are back at home. I am instructed to lay for at least 48 hours. I can get up to go the bathroom but not much else. Travis has been amazing this past week. He has done absolutely everything I have asked with out any complaint at all. He has made me food, went and got me food, has gone to the store, cleaned the house, and just taken complete care of me this week as I was down from both the retrieval and now the transfer. He also has done a fabulous job of giving me the progesterone shots each night. (I'm starting to wonder if he secretly enjoys it and is using it as payback for all I ask from him throughout the day.)

So now we wait 2 weeks. I remember from the IUIs that this is going to be the 2 longest weeks of my life. I will over analyze everything. I will convince myself it didn't work. I will probably cry. But I hope and pray that I will be announcing great news at the end of the two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment