Monday, July 4, 2011

Didn't know if I would ever make this post...

"For this child I prayed; and the Lord hath given me my petition which I asked of him"
 (1 Samuel 1:27).


It appears to be true. Many, many, many prayers have been answered. My prayers, Travis's prayers, family and friend's prayers. They should make a pregnancy test that simply reads "Prayers answered". Here's how the last few days have gone.

The transfer was on the 23rd. I spent pretty much all of that day and the next doing absolutely nothing except talk to the "babies". Travis and I both would give them narratives of the day. Let them know all the wonderful things about our lives, make them promises, encourage them to want to stick around. Anyone who happened to be around us might have thought we were insane, but I'm ok with that. I've heard that when you are a parent you do a lot of things that others might think are insane so I figured we might as well start now. I was also still pretty achy from the retrieval but it was getting much better. Tuesday, the 28th, was Travis and I's third anniversary. We decided to go out to dinner. This was one of the first days in almost a week and a half that I actually put on real clothes. It was kind of exciting.... until I realized that I was still pretty swollen and bloated and had to wear a long shirt so I could unbutton the top button of my pants. Nothing says Happy Anniversary like eating at Chili's with your pants unbuttoned! Now, I must also say though that I only ended up gaining 2 pounds throughout this whole thing which THRILLED me! I've heard of people gaining 10-20 lbs. while going through IVF so I was quite pleased with my 2 lbs.

Wednesday night as we were going to bed I noticed that my boobs had stopped hurting. Boob pain is one of the first major symptoms of impending pregnancy for most people. Mine had been hurting from the progesterone shots, but Wed. night they just completely stopped. Now being the the most majorly optimistic person that I am (HAHAHAHAHA) I informed Travis that I was pretty sure it was all over. The babies had decided that they didn't want to hang around. He told me I was crazy, but I was pretty darn convinced. Another fabulous side effect of the progesterone is that EVERY night I wake up anywhere from 4-6:30 for 1-2 hours. Just wide awake. Thank goodness for my smart phone so I can surf the web and look up pregnancy symptoms in the middle of the night and continue to drive myself crazy. Wednesday night during my 1 hour middle of the night Internet searching time, I saw people were getting positive tests as early as 6dp5dt (this means 6 days past a 5 day transfer). Thursday morning would be 7dp5dt for me so I decided that I would get up and take the one test that I happened to have left over from our last IUI ages ago, go ahead and get my negative result, and be able to have a week before my blood test to prepare myself for the inevitable. I had to get up early anyway because I had to go to a Science workshop that day.

6:00 Thursday morning- alarm goes off, I go into the bathroom, turn on the shower, pee on a stick, and wait for the 1 line result. After about 20 seconds I see the control line, but there seemed to be something almost like flickering where the other line would be. It was still early, and I had just woken up, so I figured it was just my blurry eyes. But no, no something was forming. It was light, but it was there. Complete shock overtook me. My hand flew up to my mouth and I sobbed. My negative thoughts quickly took over though and I started to think all kinds of terrible things. I needed to convince myself that this couldn't possible be true. For 2 years I had wanted to see this so bad and here it was right in front of me. It couldn't be true. I knew I needed to tell Travis before I left that morning, but he was still sleeping. so I took my shower, ate breakfast, and then went to wake him up before I left. He was half asleep and responded with, "Really?" Which only seemed appropriate since that was the response I gave him the first time he told me he loved me. "Really" seems to be our go-to response. I showed him the test and then had to leave. I grabbed a digital test on the way home that afternoon, even though I knew they don't tend to be as sensitive as the line test and there was a good chance it would not come up with pregnant. I took it when I got home and you can see the results in the picture above. Again there was just complete shock. Things were starting to seem more true, but I was still scared.

Friday I called the nurse to see if I needed to wait until next Thursday to take the blood test. She had me go ahead that day and take the blood test. She thought she would have the results before she went home.... but I never heard from her and because of the wonderful holiday weekend we won't get the results until Tuesday. I needed to keep reassuring myself now so Saturday I took the other digital from the pack, it still said pregnant miraculously. Sunday I took another line test, the line came up instantly and just as bright as the control line this time. It's slowly starting to sink in that this is for real. There is actually something(s) cooking inside of me. At least one of those little guys must have decided that all of the wonderful things I kept telling them about the past week were worth sticking around for.

So far I haven't really had to many "symptoms". My boobs finally started to hurt again today, which weirdly makes me happy. I want meat.... I want to eat meat all day! Red meat! I still get cramps every now and then throughout the day but they are getting better. I'm also really tired. But I will take all of this plus more if that's what is needed. I have been praying and begging for these symptoms for the last 2 years and am rejoicing in every single one of them.

Now we just wait and see if there is one little guy or 2. I cannot thank everyone enough who has prayed, cried, laughed, and just listened throughout the last 2 years. Obviously we are not completely out of the woods yet as it is still VERY early, so any continued prayers will be appreciated.
"For this child WE prayed; and the Lord hath given me my petition which I asked of him"
 (1 Samuel 1:27). 
and I know that God has answered each and everyone of those prayers throughout the last 2 years. We might not have always understood his answers, we might not have wanted to accept his answers, but he always answered and he is continuing to answer our prayers everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment